Transportation Communications Newsletter
Friday, June 17, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Did You Know?
The TCN can be used to publicize your upcoming events and job openings? Best of all it's free! Just look below for examples of both. If you have an operations/communications-related job opening or an upcoming transportation event that's open to all, just send the info to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I'll include it in an upcoming issue of the TCN and let my 7,500+ subscribers know.
1) How Safe is that Foreign Airline?
US government provides no information on the safety of foreign airlines.
Link to article in USA Today:
2) Key Part of New Air Traffic System in Trouble
Link to AP article:
3) Delaware Lawmakers Reject Placing Cameras in School Zones
Link to article in The News Journal:
4) E-ZPass Computer Systems Down June 23-26 in New Hampshire, New Jersey and Rhode Island
Link to article on Newport Patch:
GPS / NAVIGATION
5) LightSquared Network Would Hinder GPS in Space, Advisory Board Says
Link to article from The Wall Street Journal:
6) Key House Lawmaker Asks FCC to Kill LightSquared Network
Link to article on Nextgov:
7) Congressman Richard Hanna: Technology Can Help DOTs Do More with Less
Link to article in the AASHTO Journal:
8) MIRA to Launch innovITS ADVANCE Development Center
Link to article on AutomotiveWorld.com:
9) Traffic Data Firm Inrix Working Toward 2012 IPO
Link to Reuters article:
10) UK Road Signs Could Tell Drivers to Take the Train
Link to article in The Telegraph:
11) Indiana Highway Message Boards Never Lived Up to Promise
Link to article in the Evansville Courier & Press:
12) Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department Uncertain of Cost to Remove Pavement Markers
Link to article in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:
13) New Signs in Leeds, UK to Warn of Major Road Closures
City is first in UK, outside of London, to use high-definition screens.
Link to BBC News story:
14) Humorous Construction Signs May Disarm Road Rage
Link to article in The Now:
15) Makati City, Philippines Sends Traffic Aides to Charm School
Instruction designed to help officers communicate with tourists.
Link to article from the Philippine Information Agency:
SAFETY / SECURITY
16) White House Pushes for D Block Reallocation for Public Safety Network
Link to article in The Hill:
17) Vision Zero International – June 2011
Link to magazine:
18) UPS Using Telematics to Cut Costs by Going Green
Link to article in Industry Leaders:
19) New York City Transit Agency Weighs a Digital Upgrade for Aging Subway Cars
Link to article in The New York Times:
20) Real-Time Information System for Wellington, New Zealand Trains Faces Delays
Link to article in The Dominion Post:
21) Commuters Love It, but Plug Pulled on Sydney Bus App
Link to article in The Sydney Morning Herald:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
22) Bad Traffic in Los Angeles: Can Vision LA Help End It?
Proposed system would tell travelers best mode and offer a ticket.
Link to story and audio on KPCC Radio:
Link to further information: http://www.visionlosangeles.org/
23) Edmonton Encouraged to Create 'Smart' Streets
Link to article in the Edmonton Journal:
Link to news release from the City of Edmonton:
24) Ford and World Safety Leaders Working to Harmonize V2V Communication Systems
Link to article in Traffic Technology International:
- General Manager – Mason County Transportation Authority – Shelton, Washington
- Manager, Operations – San Luis Obispo Regional Transit Authority – San Luis Obispo, California
International Symposium on Transportation and Traffic Theory – July 18-20 – Berkeley, California
The best part is it only cost 15-cents!
Today in Transportation History
1936 **75th anniversary** The Silver Dart Aerodrome opened in Renfrew, Ontario.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net