Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Former NGA Executive Director Ray Scheppach to Keynote IBTTA Transportation Finance and Policy Summit – July 17-19, 2011 in Baltimore, MD
Hosted by the Maryland Transportation Authority, this Summit will feature interactive sessions covering the full range of issues affecting transportation finance, policy and funding from the action of central banks and congressional reauthorization to regulations affecting TIFIA and other credit assistance programs. Featured speakers include Ray Sheppach, Professor of Practice of Public Policy, Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, University of Virginia and Senior Fellow for Economic Policy, Miller Center of Public Affairs; Beverley Swaim-Staley, Secretary, Maryland DOT; and Jack Basso, Director of Program Finance and Management, AASHTO and Commissioner of the Maryland Transportation Authority. This meeting will include a technical tour of the new Intercounty Connector, ceremony recognizing Mary Turkington, Kansas Turnpike Authority Chairman, as an IBTTA Honorary Member, and an evening event at Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Orioles vs. Red Sox). Visit www.IBTTA.org/BALTIMORE to register and learn about sponsorship opportunities. To view IBTTA’s entire 2011 Education Series, click here.
1) Passenger Power Pushes Demand for In-flight Connectivity
Link to article in Aviation International News:
2) Soon, the Paperless Airplane Cabin
Link to article in The New York Times:
3) As Los Angeles Mayor Takes Helm, National Mayors' Group Backs Red-Light Cameras
Link to article in the Los Angeles Times:
4) Intelligent and Automated Models Drive Car Park Management Systems Line
Link to article on Global Sources:
5) Railroad Communication Towers Upset Northern Wisconsin Residents
Link to story on WDIO-TV:
SAFETY / SECURITY
6) NTSB: Texting Poses Deadly Threat to Nation
Link to AP article:
7) Chicago Transit Authority to Double Security Cameras
Link to story and video on WLS-TV:
8) DC Metro Employee Union Reaches Out to Riders
Link to story and audio on WAMU Radio:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
9) Avoid Bangkok Traffic Jams with Your Mobile Phone
Link to article in the Bangkok Post:
10) Sample Transportation Management Plans and Templates
Link to guide from FHWA:
11) Mercedes Plans an App Store
Link to article in Automotive News Europe:
- General Manager – Twin Transit – Centralia, Washington
- Manager of Service Delivery – Utah Transit Authority – Ogden, Utah
ITS Pennsylvania Annual Meeting – August 18-19 – Philadelphia
Today in Transportation History
1911 **100th anniversary** The Gowanus Canal flushing tunnel was opened in Brooklyn, New York.
1961 **50th anniversary** The Aviation Traders ATL-98 Carvair made its first flight.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net