Transportation Communications Newsletter
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
Former NGA Executive Director Ray Scheppach to Keynote IBTTA Transportation Finance and Policy Summit – July 17-19, 2011 in Baltimore, MD
Hosted by the Maryland Transportation Authority, this Summit will feature interactive sessions covering the full range of issues affecting transportation finance, policy and funding from the action of central banks and congressional reauthorization to regulations affecting TIFIA and other credit assistance programs. Featured speakers include Ray Sheppach, Professor of Practice of Public Policy, Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, University of Virginia and Senior Fellow for Economic Policy, Miller Center of Public Affairs; Beverley Swaim-Staley, Secretary, Maryland DOT; and Jack Basso, Director of Program Finance and Management, AASHTO and Commissioner of the Maryland Transportation Authority. This meeting will include a technical tour of the new Intercounty Connector, ceremony recognizing Mary Turkington, Kansas Turnpike Authority Chairman, as an IBTTA Honorary Member, and an evening event at Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Orioles vs. Red Sox). Visit www.IBTTA.org/BALTIMORE to register and learn about sponsorship opportunities. To view IBTTA’s entire 2011 Education Series, click here.
1) Director of FAA Technical Center Guides Facility into Bigger Spotlight
Link to article in The Press of Atlantic City:
2) AeroSafety World – May 2011
Link to magazine:
GPS / NAVIGATION
3) Garmin Acquires Navigation Rival Navigon
Link to article in Macworld:
Link to news release from Garmin:
4) South Korea to Build Unmanned Boats for Research, Surveillance
Link to article in The Korea Herald:
5) US Coast Guard Looks to Sell Two New Jersey Lighthouses
Link to article in The Star-Ledger:
6) Urban Freight Logistics at 8th ITS Congress in Lyon
Link to article from ERTICO:
7) Latest Issue of Nordic Road and Transport Research
Link to magazine:
SAFETY / SECURITY
8) Virginia DMV Offices to Display Amber Alerts
Link to AP article:
9) Chicago Transportation Boss Wants Screens with Commuter Info in Bus Shelters
Link to article in the Chicago Sun-Times:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
10) New Baku, Azerbaijan Intelligent Traffic Management System Promised by Year End
Link to article on News.Az:
11) NHTSA Chief Skeptical of Google's Driverless Vehicles
Link to article in The Detroit News:
12) 'Smart Cars' That are Actually, Well, Smart
Mechanical engineers work to develop intelligent onboard transportation systems that can prevent car crashes.
Link to article from MIT:
13) Car Tracking Device Causes Lifeboat Sea Search in Irish Sea
Link to article in the Daily Post North Wales:
- Transport Systems Consultant – IBI Group – Dublin, Ireland
- CAD Technician – IBI Group – Glasgow, Scotland
- Transport Consultant – IBI Group – Birmingham, England
- Systems Engineer – IBI Group – Dublin, Ireland
Applications for the Environment: Real-Time Information Synthesis (AERIS) Transformative Concepts Workshop – July 13 – Washington, DC
Today in Transportation History
1911 **100th anniversary** The RMS Olympic, sister ship of the RMS Titanic, left on its maiden voyage.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast www.bwcommunications.net