Transportation Communications Newsletter
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 – ISSN 1529-1057
Register for IBTTA’s Organization Management Workshop: Market, Communication and Policy Trends in Tolling
On June 17-19, 2012 in San Francisco, CA, IBTTA Delegates will meet to discuss best practices and innovations across a multitude of disciplines in the toll industry. In addition to information-packed learning sessions and networking opportunities, this workshop will feature a technical tour of the East Span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge followed by a visit to the 75th Anniversary exhibit at the Golden Gate Bridge. If you’re a mid- to senior-level toll industry professional, with responsibilities in finance, human resources, government affairs, community affairs, media and public relations, marketing or administration, we encourage you to attend. Special thanks to our host agencies: Bay Area Toll Authority, Metropolitan Transportation Commission and the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway & Transportation District. Visit to view the preliminary agenda, make your hotel reservations, and register today. The special hotel rate expires May 23, 2012.
1) Denver Air Traffic Controllers Under Investigation for Ignoring Distress Call
Link to article in Flying:
2) European Air Industry Wants Speedier Progress on Traffic Control
Link to article on EurActiv:
3) Pilots Use Aviation Apps to Get a Hang of Route, Weather and Destination
Link to article in The Economic Times:
4) Drone Purchased to Monitor Honolulu Harbor Grounded Due to Heavy Air Traffic
Link to article on Hawaii Reporter:
5) Titanic Disaster Unlikely to Happen in this Age, Experts Say
Link to article article on CNET News:
6) News from ERTICO
- ITS Interoperability Testing Events: A New Way to Make Business
- Interview with Ramiro Quintero, FICOSA
- Inaugural Issue of The ERTICO eMagazine
7) South Dakota Lawmakers Reject Wineries Request to be Included with Essential Services on Directional Signs
Link to article in The Daily Republic:
SAFETY / SECURITY
8) National Emergency Alert System Goes Live
Link to article in Government Technology:
9) Faced with Endless Telematics Updates, Automakers Have Their Aha Moment
Link to article in The New York Times:
10) Telematics Key Component of Emergency Apps
Link to article on ZDNet Asia:
11) Honolulu to Host Smartphone 'Amazing Race' to Test New Bus Apps
Link to article on KHON-TV:
Link to further information: http://can-do.honolulu.gov/apps/16
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
12) Five Apps and Websites to Beat Traffic
Link to blog on The Huffington Post:
13) Automakers Put Speed Bump in Front of Bill on Driverless Cars
Link to article in the Los Angeles Times:
14) Mercedes-Benz Will Soon be Able to Upgrade Your Car Remotely
Link to article on Jalopnik:
15) The 10 Biggest Tech Innovations of the New York Auto Show
Link to article in Wired:
16) Ford, Yahoo Reality Show to Tout Electric Focus
Link to Reuters article:
Link to news release: http://goo.gl/NQMFx
17) Ford is Ready for the Autonomous Car. Are Drivers?
Link to article on GigaOM:
18) Nine Must-Download Apps for Drivers, Commuters and Buyers of High-Priced Gas
Link to article in Wired:
Transportation Security Clearinghouse Workshop – May 22-23 – Alexandria, Virginia
Today in Transportation History
1952 **60th anniversary** Military forces from the Republic of China and the People's Republic of China began the Battle of Nanri Island.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2012 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net