Transportation Communications Newsletter
Monday, December 12, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
GPS / NAVIGATION
1) LightSquared Said to Disrupt 75% of GPS in Tests
Link to article from Bloomberg:
Link to statement from LightSquared:
2) Onboard Internet and the Implications for Maritime Training
Link to blog on Maritime Professional:
3) UK Transport Department Staff Sent Memo on Grammar
Civil servants advised not to use adverbs and contractions in official documents.
Link to article in The Mail on Sunday:
4) Gulf Traffic Expo Opens in Dubai
Link to TradeArabia News Service article:
5) US DOT Releases 2011 Update to ITS Benefits, Costs, Deployment, and Lessons Learned Desk Reference
Link to further information from US DOT:
6) New Documents from US DOT's ITS Joint Program Office
- Clarus Multi-State Regional Demonstrations
7) Tech-Absorbed Pedestrians Using Mobile Phones to Text or Talk Risking Death
Link to article in The Courier-Mail:
PUBLIC INFORMATION / EDUCATION
8) Secret Society: Transport Transparency Still Elusive in Quebec
Link to article in The Gazette:
9) European Commission Launches Open Data Strategy
Link to article in Computing:
10) Amtrak to Trade Hole Punches for iPhones
Link to article in The Washington Post:
11) Interview with Carlos Nogueira on Need for Partnerships to Deliver Telematics in Brazil
Link to article on Telematics Update:
12) Taking Telematics on the Road to Improve Automotive Safety
Link to blog in The Engineer:
13) Federal Audit of Los Angeles MTA Expected to Show Problems Communicating with Those Who Don't Speak English
Link to article in the Los Angeles Times:
14) The Future of Transit Fare Cards is No Fare Card at All
Link to article in The Atlantic:
15) Auto-Piloted Buses Fight Madrid Traffic
Link to blog on SmartPlanet:
Link to article in El Correo:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
16) Chennai Traffic Police Designing Website with Streaming Live Traffic Video
Link to article in The Hindu:
17) Intelligent Traffic Management System to be Presented in Azerbaijan Soon
Link to article on News.Az:
18) NHTSA Proposes Standardized Keyless Ignition Systems
Link to article in The Detroit News:
19) Microsoft and Nissan Launch Cloud Partnership
Link to article in the Financial Times:
Link to news release:
Webinar: Assess the Barriers and Solutions to V2X Deployment – December 15
Today in Transportation History
1901 **110th anniversary** Guglielmo Marconi received the first trans-Atlantic radio signal in St. John's, Newfoundland.
1936 **75th anniversary** The Henry Hudson Bridge, which connects Manhattan and the Bronx, opened.
1961 **50th anniversary** OSCAR 1 was launched. The satellite carried the first amateur radio transmitter into space.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at email@example.com.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net