Transportation Communications Newsletter
Monday, December 19, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) A Measure of Bicycling Impact on Your Community … Media Attention and Business Generation
Link to blog on Bikeable Communities:
2) Ireland's National Roads Authority Plans to Install Dozens of Cameras to Get Real-Time Speed Data
Link to article in the Irish Independent:
3) Times-Picayune Appeals to Louisiana Supreme Court to Get List of Traffic-Camera Scofflaws
Link to article in The Times-Picayune:
4) New North Carolina Toll Road Causing Out-of-State Confusion
Transponders aren't compatible with E-ZPass.
Link to story on WTVD-TV:
GPS / NAVIGATION
5) Next Wave of GPS Promises Stronger Signals
Link to AP article:
6) A European Vision for Passengers: Communication on Passenger Rights in All Transport Modes
Link to communication from the European Commission:
7) Articles on DutchMobility.com
- Road Users in North Holland to Get Travel Times Comparing Public Transport and Driving via Signs
- A Quarter of All One-Way Trips on Belgium's De Lijn are Purchased via SMS
8) Five Transportation-Related Topics Were Top New York City Google Searches in 2011
Link to article on The Huffington Post:
9) Mall of America Lets Shoppers Find Parking by Phone
Link to article in the Star Tribune:
10) Norfolk Southern Uses Peer Learning to Boost Safety
Link to article in Investors Business Daily:
11) New Hampshire Lawmakers Propose Warning Signs on Massachusetts Border
Link to article in The Eagle-Tribune:
12) Ogdensburg, New York Bridge Needs More Signs in Canada, Say Operators
Link to article in the Watertown Daily Times:
SAFETY / SECURITY
13) Texas DOT Hopes Light-Hearted Campaign Will Curb DWI Fatality Stats
Link to article on Transportation Nation:
14) News from Telematics Update
- Telematics, Apps and In-Car Connectivity
- Telematics: The Partnership Imperative
- ZoomSafer CEO: A Cellphone Ban Has 'Potentially Massive Ramifications'
15) Oregon's TriMet Offers Online Tool for Public to Select 'Revenue Generation' Ideas
Link to article in The Oregonian:
Link to news release:
Link to site: http://trimet.org/mailforms/budgetchoices
16) Robert Devin, Announcer for the MBTA, Dies at 94
Link to article in The Boston Globe:
17) Public Transport 'Should Emulate the Apple Approach'
Bus stops free from advertising and reliable real-time information have attracted riders to BRT.
Link to article in New Transit:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
18) Overhaul of San Francisco Bay Area 511: Faster Directions for Faster Commutes
Link to article from the Contra Costa Times:
Link to news release from the Metropolitan Transportation Commission:
Link to new site: http://trafficbeta.511.org
19) Lubbock, Texas Upgrading Traffic Management System
Link to story on KCBD-TV:
20) Nissan to Work with City of Beijing to Test Sending Drivers on Quick Routes and Giving Them Information on Their Fuel Usage
Link to article on Autos.ca:
Talking Operations Webcasts: Organizational Management for Signal Systems – December 20 & 22
Today in Transportation History
1606 **405th anniversary** Three ships, the Godspeed, the Susan Constant and the Discovery, left England with settlers who founded Jamestown, Virginia.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net