Transportation Communications Newsletter
Thursday, December 22, 2011 – ISSN 1529-1057
1) European Commission Adopts Communication on Governance and Incentive Mechanisms for Deployment of SESAR, the Single European Sky's Technological Pillar
Link to more information:
2) Iowa Governor Would Bypass Gas Tax Increase, Direct Traffic Cam Funds to State
Link to article in the Sioux City Journal:
3) Traffic Cameras Could Fight Crime in Valdosta, Georgia
Link to story on WALB-TV:
GPS / NAVIGATION
4) Driving Who-Knows-Where, We're Hooked on Map Apps
Link to article in The Wall Street Journal:
5) Bus Trips Surge as Free Wi-Fi Beats Driving
Link to Bloomberg article:
Link to report from the Chaddick Institute for Metropolitan Development at DePaul University:
6) News from the Center for Transportation Studies at the University of Minnesota
- New Online Game Teaches Risks of Distracted Driving
- Innovative Traffic Safety Program Seeks to Predict and Prevent Traffic Crashes
- University of Minnesota Startup to Improve Traffic Flow on Congested Roads
7) TRB Annual Meeting Session Spotlight – Building Your Professional Network in 140 Characters or Less: How Social Media Tools Can Enhance Professional Networking
Link to blog from Young Professionals in Transportation:
8) Transportation Contracts Should Always Require Open Data
Link to blog on Greater Greater Washington:
SAFETY / SECURITY
9) US Officials Split on 'Hands Free' Ban for Drivers
Link to Reuters article:
10) OnStar to Demo Cloud-Based Entertainment, is Siri Next?
Link to blog on CNET:
11) US DOT Selects Battelle to Develop Transit Retrofit Package
Link to further information from the ITS Joint Program Office:
TRAVELER INFORMATION / TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT
12) High-Tech Signals Reduce Traffic Frustrations in Delaware
Link to article in The News Journal:
- Call for Papers – 2012 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium
Digital Signage Expo – March 6-9 – Las Vegas
Today in Transportation History
1856 **155th anniversary** The Buffalo & Lake Huron Railroad opened between Fort Erie and Stratford, Ontario.
2001 **10th anniversary** Richard Reid tried to light explosives in his shoes while on an American Airlines flight from Paris to Miami.
The Transportation Communications Newsletter is published electronically Monday through Friday.
To subscribe (for free) or unsubscribe, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCN archives: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transport-communications
Become a TCN fan on Facebook!
Questions, comments about the TCN? Please write the editor, Bernie Wagenblast at email@example.com.
© 2011 Bernie Wagenblast Communications, LLC www.bwcommunications.net